On March 14, 1994, the Kazakh state law Institute of the Ministry of justice of the Republic of Kazakhstan was established by the decree of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan N. A. Nazarbayev. The University is tasked with training highly qualified lawyers who are able to ensure the legal reform carried out in the country in the context of socio-economic transformations.
On November 5, 1996, by a decree Of the government of Kazakhstan, Kazgui was transformed into the Kazakh state law University and transferred from the Ministry of justice to the Ministry of education and science of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
On may 14, 1998, by order of the rector of Kazguu, a branch was established in Astana.
14 Feb 2000 after the merger of Kazguu University with the Institute of state and law of NAS of the RK was created the Kazakh state law Academy (Kazakh juridical Academy).
On October 24, 2001, the Republican state-owned enterprise "Kazgua" was transformed into JSC "Kazakh University of Humanities and law" (Kazguu).
In 2002, Kazguu moved from Almaty to the young capital of Kazakhstan – Astana.
On January 16, 2003, JSC Kazguu was transformed into JSC Kazguu, and then on may 19, 2004 - into JSC Kazguu.
In September 2007, the Magna Carta of Universities was signed in the city of Bologna, Kazguu.
On July 2, 2008, the Grand opening of the new building of Kazguu is held on the left Bank of Astana with the participation of the country's President N. A. Nazarbayev.
During its formation and development, the University was managed by prominent scientists, experienced and talented organizers. At various times, the rectors of Kazguu were:
- candidate of law, associate Professor, academician of the Academy of natural Sciences of the Republic of Kazakhstan Nurpeisov Yerkesh Kaliyevich;
- D. Yu.N., Professor Shaikenov Nagashi Imangalievich (previously – Deputy head of the Council of Economic advisers of the Higher Economic Council under the President of Kazakhstan, the adviser of the President of Kazakhstan, justice Minister of Kazakhstan and Deputy Prime Minister of Kazakhstan);
- D. Yu.N., Professor, Academician IHEAS Narikbayev Maksut Sultanovich (formerly General Prosecutor of Kazakhstan, Chairman of the Supreme Court of the RK);
- D. Yu.N., Professor Udartsev Sergey Fedorovich (chief editor of the scientific magazine "law and state", formerly – head of Department, Vice-rector of Kazguu University);
- D. Yu.N., Professor, academician of the Academy of natural Sciences of RK of Marat Kogamov Secchi (Colonel of justice, tax, financial police, former chief of financial police Academy of financial police Agency of Kazakhstan, chief inspector of the Secretariat of the security Council of the presidential Administration).
Since may 1, 2013, the Rector of Kazguu is candidate of law Narikbayev T. M., who has worked as the President and Chairman of the Board of JSC "Kazguu" since 2007.
Today Kazguu is the only University in Kazakhstan included in the annual directory of law schools in Europe. Undisputed achievements are membership in the Association of higher education institutions of the Republic of Kazakhstan and the Eurasian Association of universities, as well as the status of national administrator of international competitions in
international law for the F. Jessop Cup.